Where to from here?
“A child safe organisation takes deliberate steps to protect children and young people from physical, sexual, emotional, psychological and cultural abuse, and neglect. This commitment to protecting children must be embedded in your organisation’s culture and policies. Responsibility for taking action must be understood and accepted by everyone.”
(Commission for Children and Young People (2015), A guide for creating a child safe organisation 2.0, pg 9).
Things you can do:
- Build upon and improve any existing child safety measures in your organisation
- Create a child safe culture in your organisation
- Organise and perform a child safe review of your organisation
- Develop a Child Safe Policy or Statement of Commitment to child safety
- Create a Code of Conduct
- Develop Human Resource practices, including how you recruit, screen and train your staff and volunteers
- Document and implement procedures for reporting and responding to concerns and disclosures
- Take a risk management approach
- Promote involvement and empowerment of children and young people
- Continue to review your organisation’s child safety measures